|SRA Key Topic||SRA Topic||SRA Topic priority|
|Technical feasibility and long-term performance of repository components
||Long-term stability of bentonite in crystalline environments (Topic 3.9 in the SRA)
Explanation of the contents of the activity
A project could consist of several parts:
- State-of-the –art summary of knowledge on bentonite buffer stability in the individual programmes and within the EC framework (BELBaR)
- Laboratory experiments which would exemplify difficult events/conditions for the buffer in the long-term perspective.
- In-situ experiments using expected conditions for the buffer in a repository-type environment.Modelling of laboratory and in-situ experiments
- Summary of results and consequences for the programmes involved.
Current on-going work (through EC, IAEA, bilaterally...)
- Within almost all individual programmes
- SKB/Posiva co-operation
- EC FP7-project BELBaR (Bentonite Erosion effects on the Long term performance of the engineered Barrier and Radionuclide Transport).